Thursday, January 12, 2017

Misogyny... and you? me? What?

Misogyny is hatred of women.

The Merriam-Webster dictionary says, "Misogyny may be distinguished from the closely related word sexism, which signifies discrimination based on sex (although it most frequently refers to discrimination against women) and also carries the meaning “behavior, conditions, or attitudes that foster stereotypes of social roles based on sex.” ((https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/misogyny))

Misogyny, sexism along with a whole host of other prejudices make up the filter we view the world through... kind of scary, huh? I've blogged about this before I was shocked to discover I was sexist but I've acknowledged it and I'm working on it. 

Here's two videos I wanted to share with you.

We need to lose the belief that someone on the rainbow would NEVER hold outdated beliefs and act on them. (I wasn't.)



This next video shows how sexism & misogyny isn't coming just from males... Females have internalized it and most of us aren't even aware of it.



What can you do?
1) Be aware of it.
2) Examine your decisions with the knowledge you might have some subconscious bias against women.
3) Educate yourself
4) (if possible) Point out sexism when it happens.
5) Monitor your own negative comments.

Hugs, Z.

No comments:

Post a Comment