Thursday, May 16, 2019

No outrage over gay actor playing a gender non-conforming role...

 First let me applaud the CW for having a gender non-conforming character in their new show (Glamorous) However, the CW cast an openly gay actor to play a gender non-conforming role. 

We' seen the outrage in the past people have lost it when a straight actor/actresses plays a gay character or a cisgender actor/actress plays a transgender character they should be consistent. 
Don't gender non-conforming people deserve the same standard?
But I'm hearing silence... not outrage.
I ask why not? Does the fact this actor is gay just automatically check the LGBTQIA+ box & cover CW's casting decision? 

What's the difference between a straight actor vs a gay actor playing a gender non-conforming part? Gay doesn't equal gender non-conforming anymore then cisgender = transgender.

For me personally as a nonbinary of the transmascine variety: I'm thrilled to see a character who is at least voicing one perspective of the gender non-conforming experience I'm not going to bitch about whose going to play the person.

>>> Though I'm not a gender non-conforming actor/actress looking for work with so few gender non-conforming roles<<<

Again for me: I almost see this as part of the road to visibility. A necessary part of the journey of having more gender non-conforming understanding. Having more nonbinary and gender non-conforming roles in movies/books/tv help people to understand what it means.

So I'll remain thrilled this is happening! I WANT MORE! If I can get more nonbinary and gender non-conforming actors/actresses/people to play these roles AWESOME! 
Here's a video on gender non-conformity. (Remember it's only how one kid expresses it... it's not the only way.)  
Hugs, Z. 

No comments:

Post a Comment