Thursday, October 7, 2021

Toxic BL Relationships

 

I've seen several posts/videos about the toxic nature of BL relationships. And I've got to say I wonder if these folks have watched any M/F dramas. 
 
Here's some things usually highlighted as problematic:
 
Jealousy is seen as shorthand for love. The West is on a different page than some parts of Asia. But it's not just in BL it's in M/F dramas as well. The possessiveness recently (some of 2021 dramas) are beginning to acknowledge that it might not be right > but it's still there.
 
Sexual lust not being able to be controlled "I can't hold back." 
 > Um, yeah you can... and if you can't I hope you're kneed in the balls< 
This concept of being so wild with passion you're unable to not jump the person is not only in BL but in other dramas I've seen. (Yesterday, I saw it in My Roommate is a Gumiho).
 
Taking Advantage of Drunk Individual
Not getting proper consent > is rife not just in BLs. And the other characters encourage it  because they are embarrassed to say they want whatever is on offer.
 
Gaslighting  
People allowing someone to think something that's not true to get what they want.


So before you accept someone's critic of BL's as being toxic help them see the bigger picture of it's not just BLs it's where society happens to be. 
 
((Of course some things are terrible in any language sooooo don't make wild assumptions based on this post... not that you would cause you know me... but I need to put in that disclaimer.))
 
Many hugs, Z.

No comments:

Post a Comment